Algae in the aquarium. Reasons for the appearance.
Some time ago, we changed the lighting in our aquarium to LED Aquael Retro fit.
And everything was fine until I read forums and groups in Facebook, and decided that the lighting is not enough. And added a couple more additional LED fixtures, and one was with a special spectrum for better plant growth!
Moreover, several types of algae settled in the aquarium at once.
Algae in the aquarium. Attempt to determine the species.
Against their background, even a “black beard" (Compsopogon) looks pretty attractive :)
In all their properties and external data, they resembled blue-green algae (Cyanobacteria), which are more related to bacteria. They, just as in the description, covered the bottom of the carpet and glass with a continuous carpet.
The only thing that bothered me was the complete absence of the smell that should have been.
Ways of struggle.
I decided to deal with algae in all directions at once, so I used several methods.
- The first thing they did was turn off the extra lighting.
- We bought several chemicals.
- Algexit from Easy-life: a remedy against all types of algae. On a natural basis. Absolutely harmless to all species of fish and other inhabitants of the aquarium.
- Erythromycin (Erythromycin): An antibacterial agent against blue-green algae (since these are bacteria). Sold in pharmacies.
Mode of application:
Try to manually clean the aquarium from algae as much as possible and make 30% water change.
Dissolve 100mg (1 tablet) for every 25 liters of water. Kills blue-green algae per day. Safe for fish and plants.
- Dennerle Carbo elexier: The so-called liquid carbon. Extra nutrition for plants.
Have installed CO2 generator.
Algae in the aquarium. Results.
In general, after about a month, the aquarium began to look like this.
The video will be a little later. Bye photo.
Before and after.
What can not be done when dealing with algae.
Very often beginner aquarists try to deal with algae in the aquarium as follows. They drain all the water and boil everything: soil, stones and driftwood.
Do not do so. If you do not eliminate the cause of the algae (Excessive light and overfeeding fish), this will not help you.
You will only balance more.
- Cichlids (Cichlidae): How to Equip Aquarium in 2020? 2020-03-18
- Algae in the aquarium? How to win? Personal experience (+ Photos)! 2019-09-15
- CO2 Reactor and Diffuser in the Aquarium. How to choose? 2019-08-10
- CO2 Aquarium Generator: Launch! With Photos and Videos! 2019-07-11
- Aquarium Sprayer with Nano Bubbles: Overview and Comparison! (Photo + Video)! 2019-04-08