Cristobalite in the aquarium!
The main criteria for him were:
- Naturalness Soil should be of natural origin, chemically neutral and not contain any dyes.
- The soil should be sufficiently small and safe for bottom dwellers. That is, do not contain sharp edges. After all, there is a myth that corydoras and other catfishes damage their antennae on poor-quality soil (Although, this myth seems to have already been refuted).
- The soil should be light in color. And although I am a supporter of dark, and even black tones of the soil, but in this case I decided to make an exception. The thing is that we have in the bright Panda corydoras, and on dark ground they also begin to darken over time. In order to disguise, as I understand it. Yes, and friends say that the Pandas on white soil look spectacular.
Cristobalite Iceberg (Cristobalite Iceberg).
Since I am a man, quite far from the science of "Chemistry", then at first glance it seemed to me that there is little natural in this soil. There were even more associations with plastic than with stone. But as it turned out, everything is not so scary, but on the contrary very well.
After all Cristobalite (cristobalite) this is just a high-temperature polymorphic modification of quartz. And quartz, as we know, is very often used in aquariums, as soil or scenery. In other words, it is a primer in the form of sand and white.
So for the naturalness and safety of the soil, I became calm.
Cristobalite Iceberg (Crystobalite Iceberg). Overview.
Cristobalite Iceberg for sale in 4 kilogram bags produced by a French company Zolux, and a fraction (size) of 0.15 / 0.6mm. And it looks like washing powder most of all.
Preparation and laying in the aquarium with fish.
Before laying any soil in the aquarium, we wash it under running water. Otherwise, the water in the aquarium will become muddy for a long time. To facilitate the process, it is desirable to involve your wife in this case. It was this soil that was sufficiently clean, so it did not take long to suffer.
In order to safely lay the ground in the aquarium with fish, I used a plastic measuring cup. Just poured into it the ground and "poured" it near the bottom. And then gradually leveled.
In general, on this, the process can be considered complete. And I will say that catfish met this ground very positively. And for the first time I saw the Corydoras catfish accelerate and hit the ground on the most dorsal fin. Apparently, this is how they get a tubifex in wildlife. Sorry did not have time to make photo at this moment. But I think there will be another such opportunity. Now the water is still turbid, and the snag stubbornly does not want to sink, but soon I will present a full photo report.
- Sansibar JBL Dark: Dark “Black and White” Primer For Aquarium! 2019-01-05
- South America River Biotope at Home Aquarium. 2018-12-31
- Cristobalite (Cristobalite) in aquarium! Overview! Soma Delighted! 2018-12-24
- Shrimp Filters (Atyopsis moluccensis): How to properly design an aquarium! + Video! 2018-10-29
- Soil for the Aquarium (Black). Personal experience. Which to choose! 2018-05-24