Once, by chance with other plants, a small sprout of a plant unknown to me got into the aquarium. After a very short time, the plant began to grow rapidly and now adorns all our aquariums. I began to watch aquarium forums and ask questions about it. And I realized that my plant, it is saturated, and most likely Guadeloupe (Najas Guadalupensis or Guadalupe waternymph). But, in terms of aquarium plant keeping, this is not very important. All of them are rather unpretentious and similar to each other. In general, the genus Najas Includes over 40 species. But in the aquariums there are only a few: Nayas Guadalupe, Indian (Royal), grassy and very beautiful Nayas Roraima.
A brief description.
Nyas, like other popular aquarium plant, Vallisneria (Vallisneria) Belongs to the family Hydrocharitáceae and thanks to its unpretentiousness managed to conquer almost all the water bodies of the planet with a tropical and temperate climate. Some species were found even in a rather cool The Baltic States and many areas of Russia.
Nayas, in appearance, resembles something in between, between branches of spruce and tops of palm trees. On a long stalk, reaching 1 meters, there are many processes with strongly elongated leaves. The root system is poorly developed, and for maintenance in the aquarium, it is not very necessary. With rapid growth, the naias forms dense thickets, strongly reminiscent of the hornwort thickets. Just not so tight and tough. In the aquarium, they look more spacious and airy.
Benefits for the aquarium.
Use in the aquarium:
- It will help to set a biological balance faster when starting a new aquarium.
- It helps to avoid jumps of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates in the aquarium.
- Can be used in aquariums without soil. Including spawning and aquariums for fry.
- Serves as an excellent refuge for fry and juvenile fish in a common aquarium (pictured below).
- Will help in a short time to create a beautiful design in the aquarium.
Keeping in the aquarium.
Content najas in the aquarium does not require any special knowledge or conditions. No need for additional CO2 systems, fertilizers or lighting systems. It is enough to comply with the standard conditions for the care of the aquarium.
Basic conditions of keeping:
- The temperature of the content is from 18 ° to 30 ° C (64.4 ° - 86 ° F), optimum 22 ° -26 ° C (71.6 ° -78.8 ° F).
- Water hardness is not very important, but in very soft water the growth may somewhat decrease.
- In terms of lighting, the plant is also not demanding. But bright and juicy thickets are obtained only in bright light.
- Not demanding also to the composition of the soil. The plant can either be planted or attached to the glass with a sucker anywhere and at any level. (How to do this, read the article about Hornwort.) Or just leave in a free float.
- Najas likes fresh water, so the weekly substitution of 20-25% of the total volume is desirable.
Propagation in the aquarium.
On the reproduction of this plant in an aquarium it is not worth thinking at all. After a very short time you will have to think about what to do with the surplus. najas. After all, if you do not cut thin thickets in time, it will close all the free space in the aquarium, and the fish will simply have nowhere to swim. So, control this!
Najas. The only one problem.
Based on my experience of maintaining this plant, I noticed one significant minus for this plant. The fact is that the stems have najas very delicate and brittle. And if you start actively catching fish with a net, in thickets najas, it can decay into many small pieces. Even a powerful jet from the aquarium filter can destroy its stems.
All this needs to be taken into account, and when transplanting and catching fish, it is advisable to temporarily remove najas and an aquarium.
And so, sheer beauty and the benefits of this plant in the aquarium!
Other interesting plants in the aquarium:
- Cichlids (Cichlidae): How to Equip Aquarium in 2020? 2020-03-18
- Algae in the aquarium? How to win? Personal experience (+ Photos)! 2019-09-15
- CO2 Reactor and Diffuser in the Aquarium. How to choose? 2019-08-10
- CO2 Aquarium Generator: Launch! With Photos and Videos! 2019-07-11
- Cancer Dwarfish Mexican Orange (Cambarellus patzcuarensis): Overview! 2019-04-26