Who is Pistia?
Pistia ( Pistia Strateotes) - floating on the surface of a beautiful water plant. Due to the shape and structure of its leaves, many additional names have been obtained, such as "shell", "water cabbage", "water salad" and "cabbage of the Nile".
Due to its extreme simplicity and growth rate, it is now difficult to establish the exact place of origin of this plant. It is found in all the waters of the globe, in which conditions allow for its habitat. The main one is temperature. So that in the coldest time of the year it does not fall below + 16 ° C, and the optimum is from + 24 ° C to + 30 ° C.
Pistia is a malicious weed and pest in the wild! But why?
And all because Pistia incredibly fast growing and over time can completely subjugate the entire reservoir.
The fact is that pisces very successful body structure for the seizure of the territory. First, it is flat and wide leaves, under favorable conditions reaching 25 cm in diameter. Thus, closing the light to the rest of the plants, and disturbing the gas exchange in the pond. Secondly, long filamentary roots, which as powerful filters suck out all the useful substances from the water, even before they can reach the bottom and "feed" the rest of the plants.
And with good luck, an aquatic plant can close the entire surface of the water, completely blocking access to light and the ingress of oxygen into the pond. What usually leads to the death of not only other plants, but also a mora of fish.
Also, there are some types of mosquitoes, such as Mansonia, who use pistia for its reproduction. And consequently, the more a plant captures a pond, the more mosquitoes in its district will become.
Pistya - an indispensable assistant in the aquarium! But why?
And all thanks to the same properties that so harm the wild nature.
- Due to very rapid growth and unpretentiousness, Pistia can be used as an indispensable assistant in maintaining the chemical balance in the aquarium, and because the plant does not need soil, it is very convenient to use in aquariums with fry. The plant will absorb very badly ammonia и nitrites, and will not poison young fish.
Ammonia in aquarium! Danger!
Nitrite in aquarium! Danger!
- Still, in the roots floating and hanging like fabulous tentacles, very much likes to wind up, the so-called “living dust”. Microorganisms that serve as excellent food fry in the first days of life.
- And the roots themselves will be an excellent shelter for the fry, in case of sudden births in a common aquarium.
- Plus, the extraordinary beauty of this plant.
Other aquarium plants:
- Pistia (Pistia Stratiotes): Enemy for Nature and Friend for the Aquarium! Find out why! 2018-07-28
- Hornwort (Ceratophyllum): An indispensable helper in the aquarium! + My Tricks! 2018-06-19
- Wallisneria (Vallisneria): Great Plant For Background! (My experience) 2018-09-15
- Aquarium Plants (2019) - Simple Solutions! Discover! 2018-04-11
- Krinum Kalamistratum (Crinum Calamistratum): Unusual Alien in Your Aquarium! 2018-05-09